Thursday, August 14, 2014

To be given another day...

                                   

I don't talk about my dad too much on here if at all. I have a hard time even four years later thinking about it. My dad passed away from complications of a heart attack four years ago today. My dad was a huge part of my life. He was my best friend. We hardly ever fought and I remember calling him after I met Nick Jonas the first time and he understood me completely. Because my dad and I were so close our pastor asked me to write something about my dad for his sevice so I'm going to include that below because it describes me and my dad to a t. 

"Here is just a few things about my dad.

My dad wanted boys so he raised a little bit of boy in both my sister and I.

He taught Eleni and I everything he could about football and racing. Eleni and I were raised as Redskins fans but that only lasted long enough for both of us to gain our own opinions. Now he has me a Patriots fan and Eleni a Colts fan. Now to this day I love football and here in a week or two I'll still be watching knowing he's right there watching with me.

Though I am not a racing fan, I still would sit and watch the race with my dad whether he'd be watching with his eyes open or closed. Because even if his eyes were closed he knew everything that was going on. 

My dad taught both Eleni and I how to throw a punch and how to take one. That backfired on him when he wanted to play around with Eleni and I. He received many bruises from Eleni and I. It's what we did, we play fought. There were many times where Daddy would have to quit because he taught Eleni and I how to throw a punch a little too well.

My dad to everyone else was Ray the boy who grew up on the hill. But what everyone else didn't see was my Daddy. He was the one who passed out before I was even born. He was the one who while sleeping Mama and I put hairbows in his hair. He was the one who had to buy me Achy Breaky Heart on cassette because he cut it off and I threw such a tantrum it was the only way to make me stop. He was the one who taught me everything I know about sports. He made sure my grades were to par because he wanted better for me and he wanted to make sure he had something to brag about. He was the one who in the middle of the night would go to every room and check on us. He could tell you where Eleni or I slept and where each cat and the dog was. He was my Daddy and nobody will never be another him. 

I'm sorry that so many people never knew the same person I knew because you knew a great guy but I knew greater guy, Ray, the dad."


There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my dad. There will probably never be one either. So go hug your dads for me today. 


Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric